Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Meeting Nir Shah...




I have always admired Nir Shah as a movie actor. His consistency in Nepali cinema is unwavering ever since I have know him in the big screen. I still remember his outstanding performance in Prem Pinda - a historic movie.

One of the prominent architects of Nepali celluloid world, Nir Shah has always been in limelight also because he is not just a movie actor but also a poet, lyricist, movie director and a businessman.

I had an opportunity to invite him in my Queens abode one
evening recently along with some of my friends here in Queens. Nir Shah was in a business trip in New York. One of my cousins, Shanta B. Thokar, arranged for the meeting.

I found Nir Shah very considerate and warm human being. It was a strange experience talking with a person who I had only seen in the movies, before that night. The somewhat inaccessibility about him vanishing as soon as I met him in flesh and blood gave me a strange feeling of closeness towards him.

I am not a talkative person but I am an observant one.

After he left for the airport – his plane was due in couple of hours – I could not help but think, was this the ‘luck lurking’ phenomenon that is smiling upon me lately which made this chance meeting possible?

I remember telling him: “I feel lucky that you have stepped in the threshold of my humble abode”
or words to that effect.

First the inheritance then the notebook now Nir Shah, luck is really smiling at me.

But still the faith is: Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind as Buddha says.




1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how you can meet all sorts of Nepalis in NYC ..... One evening I walked out of a cultural program, and there was Rajesh Hamal at the door greeting people as we left! I was pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete